Oil Shale (Kerogen)
Oil shale and tar sands remains a speculative industry in the arid lands of the Colorado Plateau. A general lack of water is why the industry will never be viable. Even if alternative chemical washes are used to separate bitumen from sand, for example, it still requires 1.5 to 2 barrels of water to refine a single barrel of synthetic crude. What this extraction will accomplish is physical damage to the Colorado River watershed, which supplies culinary water to nearly 30 million people. It will also create more CO2 in the atmosphere, which is the #1 killer of the Rocky Mountain snowpack, which provides 85% of the Colorado River's total annual water supply. Our watershed needs investors to create a reliable energy supply that will heal the water supply of the Colorado River, not destroy it.
New Information Regarding Red Leaf Resources Mining Permit
STATE LAND INVENTORY FOR OIL SHALE IN UTAH
- 93,000 State Trust acres are leased for oil shale
- A typical lease lasts 10-years
- Not all land can be surface mined (some requires underground mining)
- Living Rivers v Red Leaf Resources
- Final Memo in Opposition Motion in Limine
- Final MSJ Response
- Final Response to DOGM's Pre-Hearing Brief
- Final Response to DOGM's Reply
- DOGM Pre-Hearing Brief
- RED LEAF'S PRE-HEARING BRIEF
- RLR PRE-HEARING REPLY BRIEF
- RLR'S MEMO IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR PARTIAL SUMMARY DECISION
- RLR'S MEMO IN SUPPORT OF MOTION IN LIMINE
- RLR'S MOTION FOR PARTIAL SUMMARY DECISION
- RLR'S MOTION IN LIMINE
- DEQ comments Red Leaf 2012 Feb
- DOGM Red Leaf Hearing Notice Feb 2012
- DWR comments Red Leaf 2012 Feb
- LivingRivers RAA Red Leaf
- Red Leaf Informal Hearing Transcript 2012 March
- Red Leaf NOI protest
- Weisheit Declaration
Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining (UDOGM)
Red Leaf Resources Inc. (oil shale mining permits)
- Red Leaf Resources @ Southwest #1
- Red Leaf Resources @ Southwest #1b
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #1
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #3
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #4
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #6
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #7
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #8
- Red Leaf Resources @ Site #9
OIL SHALE STRIP MINING @ INDIAN RIDGE
Notice of Intent (NOI) to Commence Large Mining Operations. Red Leaf Resources.
November 2011 - Red Leaf NOI Protest. Living Rivers and Western Resource Advocates.
To SUBMIT A LETTER of concern to Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining click here
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
Oil Shale & Tar Sands Programmatic EIS
- Home Page
- Federal Notice
- Environmental Impact Statement
- Record of Decision
- Additional Information
- Tar Sands: Basic Information
- Oil Shale: Basic Information
- Endangered Species List
- Comments of California Attorney General
- NEW: Company Profiles
- National Oil Shale Association
- AuraSource (China)
- Earth Energy Resources
- Enshale & Bullion Monarch Mining
- Oil Shale Exploration Company (Now Enefit)
- Red Leaf Resources
Red Leaf Presentation
Video about Red Leaf. EcoFLight.
Red Leaf oil shale update
- Shell Mahogany Research Project
- Temple Mountain Energy
- TomCo Energy
- 2011 - Testimony of Bill Eikenberry (PIONEERS Act)
- 2010- Oil Shale in the West: 14 Unanswered Questions. Headwater Economics.
- 2010 - Oil shale update. National Oil Shale Association.
- 2010 - CERES Report on Oil Shale/Water Nexus.
- 2010 - Energy-Water Nexus: Better Understanding of Water Resources. GAO.
- 2008 - Oil Shale Report. Congressional Research Service.
- 2008 - Water Rights and Oil Shale. Congressional Research Service.
ENDANGERED AND THREATENED SPECIES
- Critical Habitat Designation. USFWS.
- Mexican-spotted owl
- Greater sage grouse
- Graham's Penstemon (Photo) (Recent news) (Aid to identify)
- Screen of endangered species at Red Leaf Resources
- Map 01 & Map 02: endangered species @ Red Leaf Resources
- Critical Habitat Map. The Wilderness Society.
EPA - ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT DOCUMENTS
- 2008 - Oil shale and tar sands Programmatic EIS. BLM.
- 2008 - Holocene Debris Flows on the Colorado Plateau. Webb.
- 2007 - Analysis of Utah Tar Sands. UGS.
- 1992 - Hydrocarbons along proposed Book Cliffs Highway. UGS.
- 1975 - Mineral Resources of Uintah Ouray Reservation. USGS.
- Comments on Air Quality from Oil and Gas Development in Dixie Nat. Forest
- 2010 - Montana Environmental Information Center v BLM
- 2010 - Mexican spotted owl critical habitat decision
- 2010 - History of Mexican spotted owl appeal
MAPS & GIS
University of Utah
- Book Cliffs Divide Road Grand County; Reduced
- East Canyon Grand County Approach; Reduced
- Red Leaf Resources @ Indian Ridge, June 2010
- 6/15/10 - Wildflower vs. Oil Shale. Salt Lake Weekly.
- 11/30/10 - GAO: More research needed on oil shale, water
- 9/17/2007 - Tar sands, oil shale. Energy Bulletin.
- 3/24/10 - Decision on wildflower protection expected soon. Assoc. Press.
- 3/29/10 - Sage Grouse will play role in Western energy development.Marten Law.
- 4/29/10 - Salazar aide - Oil shale not ready for prime time
- Document archive. Western Resource Advocates.
- Oil Shale Facts
- Fossil Foolishness. Western Resource Advocates
- Northern Rockies Rising Tide
- CERES Report on Oil Shale/Water Nexus.
- Tar Sands: Feling the climate crisis. FOE Europe.
- Dirty Oil. Greenpeace.
- 2011 - Between a Rock and a Dry Place: The Impact of Oil Shale Development and Climate Change on the Colorado River Basin Water Supply. NRDC
- White Paper. Utah Mining Association.
- 2009 - Oil Shale Report. University of Colorado at Boulder.
- University of Utah ICSE Digital Repository
- Oil shale and tar sands interactive web page (excellent resource)
- 1995 - Surface disturbances and the role of accelerating erosion. Belnap.
- Home page: Utah Oil, Gas & Mining
- Public records: Utah Oil, Gas & Mining. (Username and password is ogmguest)
- FTP Site. Utah Oil Gas & Mining
- PR Springs water right 01 and 02. Utah Division of Water Rights.
- 1980 - An Assessment of Oil Shale and Tar San Development
- 2009 - Bibliography of tar sand deposits & map. Utah Geological Survey.
- 2009 - Approval of PR Springs strip mine for tar sand. UDOGM.
2010 - Notice regarding PR Springs Mine to Grand County Council. UDOGM.
- Fossil Foolishness. Western Resource Advocates.
- A film by Leslie Iwerks
- The Tar Sands Blow
- Tar Sands, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- Red Leaf Resources. EcoFLight.
Southest Utah (includes East Tavaputs Plateau)
- Amphibian Inventory. DWR.
- Avian Inventory. DWR.
- Bison Reintroduction. DWR.
- Black Bears. DWR
- Ecosystem Evaluation. DWR.
- Mammal Inventory. DWR.
- Reptile Inventory. DWR.